‘Tis the Season to Decorate Safely…
NATIONAL—With only 11 days until Christmas, some of us may be dashing to finish our Holiday decorations in time for Santa’s arrival. Whether your attempting to recreate your own Winter Wonderland or simply trying to avoid being the so-called “Scrooge” of the neighborhood, Tripp Law Firm invites you to take heed of what emergency doctors and the U.S. Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”) already know all too well: installing holiday decorations can be hazardous to your health!
How hazardous? Well, during November and December 2014, there were 12 fatalities and an estimated 14,500 injuries treated in hospital ERs nationwide, due to holiday decorations. That’s an average of about 240 injuries per day during the holiday season!
According to the CPSC, the key to avoiding such injuries is to start with safety in mind. To help, the CPSC has put together a guide called “Holiday Decoration Safety Tips,” which is shown below:
I. General Rules for Holiday Safety
- Keep matches, lighters, and candles out of the reach of children.
- Avoid smoking near flammable decorations.
- Make an emergency plan to use if a fire breaks out anywhere in the home. See that each family member knows what to do. PRACTICE THE PLAN!
- Avoid wearing loose flowing clothes— particularly long, open sleeves—near open flames – such as those of a fireplace, stove, or candlelit table.
- Never burn candles near evergreens. Burning evergreens in the fireplace can also be hazardous. When dry, greens burn like tinder. Flames can flare out of control, and send sparks flying into a room, or up the chimney to ignite creosote deposits.
- Plan for safety. Remember, there is no substitute for common sense. Look for and eliminate potential danger spots near candles, fireplaces, trees, and/or electrical connections.
- Many artificial trees are fire resistant. If you buy one, look for a statement specifying this protection.
- Place tree away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Heated rooms dry trees out rapidly, creating fire hazards.
- Cut off about two inches of the trunk to expose fresh wood for better water absorption. Trim away branches as necessary to set tree trunk in the base of a sturdy, water-holding stand with wide spread feet. Keep the stand filled with water while the tree is indoors.
- Place the tree out of the way of traffic and do not block doorways. Use thin guy-wires to secure
a large tree to walls or ceiling. These wires are almost invisible.
- Artificial snow sprays can irritate lungs if inhaled. To avoid injury, read container labels; follow directions carefully.
- Indoors or outside, use only lights that have been tested for safety. Identify these by the label from an independent testing laboratory.
- Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken
or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Discard damaged sets or repair them before using.
- Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house, walls or other firm support to protect from wind damage.
- Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
- Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Lights could short and start a fire.
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree.
- The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and any person touching a branch could be electrocuted! To avoid this danger, use colored spotlights above or beside a tree, never fastened onto it!
- Keep “bubbling” lights away from children. These lights with their bright colors and bubbling movement can tempt curious children to break candle-shaped glass, which can cut, and attempt to drink liquid, which contains a hazardous chemical.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens.
- Always use non-flammable holders.
- Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper.
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
- Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials.
- Wear gloves while decorating with spun glass “angel hair” to avoid irritation to eyes and skin.
- Choose tinsel or artificial icicles or plastic or non- leaded metals. Leaded materials are hazardous if ingested by children.
- In homes with small children, take special care to: (1) Avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable; (2) Keep trimmings with small removable parts out of the reach of children. Pieces could be swallowed or inhaled; and (3) Avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food. A child could eat them!
- Before lighting any fire, remove all greens, boughs, papers, and other decorations from fireplace area. Check to see that flue is open.
- Keep a screen before the fireplace all the time a fire is burning.
- Use care with “fire salts” which produce colored flames when thrown of wood fires. They contain heavy metals which can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation or vomiting if eaten. Keep away from children.
- When making paper decorations, look for materials labeled non-combustible or flame- resistant.
- Never place trimming near open flames or electrical connections.
- Remove all wrapping papers from tree and fireplace areas immediately after presents are opened.
- Do not burn papers in the fireplace. A flash fire may result as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely.
U.S. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION (“CPSC”), Holiday Decoration Safety Tips (Dec. 2015), available at http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/121347/611.pdf.
Injured in a dangerous environment or by negligent staff? Then call TRIPP LAW FIRM – Personal Injury Law at (727) 398-2900 in Pinellas/Pasco/Polk/Orange/Osceola/Seminole County, for an immediate, confidential case evaluation. There is NO Fee and NO Costs if we do not obtain a Recover for YOU!
At TRIPP LAW FIRM, we have the necessary experience to protect your legal rights and pursue the appropriate damages. Thus, don’t hesitate to call us. We answer our phones 24/7/365. The injury law team and staff private investigators at the TRIPP LAW FIRM are ready on a moment’s notice.
TRIPP LAW FIRM – Personal Injury Law – Available 24/7