Florida Injury Attorney G. Alan Tripp, Jr. urges motorists to use caution in parking lots, where accidents can happen as people pay less attention and are more lax about obeying stop signs and other traffic control devices.
Many accidents have been reported when elderly drivers mistakenly hit the gas rather than the brake and run into pedestrians causing serious and sometimes fatal injuries. Elderly drivers face many challenges. Car accident statistics show that after 70 years of age, the rate of car accidents increases. Elderly people may experience decline in their health including slower reaction time, poor vision, and cognitive skills. A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) publication reports that in 1997 while seniors were 9% of the population they accounted for 14% of traffic fatalities and 17% of pedestrian fatalities. Drivers whose behavior, physical or cognitive capabilities, or other traits present substantial risk to either themselves or others. A national task force found that elderly and medically impaired drivers were a major problem area.
Pedestrians in parking lots should be aware of their surroundings and not walk behind cars that are backing.
Numerous web resources offer parking lot safety tips, including:
– Obey traffic lanes and avoid cutting diagonally across lots.
– Obey traffic signs, including stop signs, crosswalks and yield signs.
– Use turn signals and obey other traffic laws as you would on a public street.
– Be vigilant in looking for pedestrians, bicycles and other traffic before moving.
– Watch for parents pushing baby carriages and strollers or people in wheelchairs.
– Use extra caution in looking for people or traffic behind you when backing out of a space.
– Don’t race for a parking spot you think is about to be vacated.
– Obey the traffic flow patterns marked on the surface of the lot.
This information is provided by the TRIPP LAW FIRM – Personal Injury Law. We represent people who have been seriously injured and the families of those killed in pedestrian accidents, car accidents and motorcycle accidents.
Contact the TRIPP LAW FIRM today for a FREE and confidential case evaluation. We handle personal injury cases throughout the State of Florida.
Our TOLL-FREE number is (888) 392-LAWS (5297).